RESIDENTIAL RENOVATION FACT SHEET
ESTIMATED CONSTRUCTION COSTS FOR NYC RESIDENTIAL RENOVATIONS
- Complete renovation – $200 to $400 per square foot (For a 2000 square foot renovation, the cost would be $400,000 to $800,000.)
- Kitchen Renovation – range of $20,000 to $100,000
- Bathroom Renovation – range of $10,000 to $50,000
- Central Air Conditioning (for a 2000 square foot apartment)– $20,000 to $80,000 (Cost depends upon the complexity of the system, and the impact it has on the overall design of the job.)
- Through the Wall Air Conditioning – $2,500 to $4,000 per unit (Includes installation and cabinetry)
- Rewiring (For a 2000 square foot apartment) – $25,000
(The Cost depends upon the amount of patching and plastering required.)
- Window Replacement – $500 to $1,200 per window (double-hung windows)
- 15% - 25% of the Cost of Construction
- Design, Planning, Construction Drawings, and Bidding 2-6 months
- Construction Period (depending on the scope of work) 2-8 months
- Clients save money. By defining the project through the architect's drawings and specifications, the project can be bid competitively. A vaguely defined project on a time and materials basis can lead to wild cost overruns.
- Architects can help clients maximize the design possibilities of their project, adding real value to their property.
- Almost all Co-op and Condominium Boards require architectural drawings for a renovation.
- Renovations that need to be filed with the Department of Buildings must be submitted by an Architect or Engineer (i.e. the reconfiguration of an existing plan.)