ESTIMATED CONSTRUCTION COSTS FOR NYC RESIDENTIAL RENOVATIONS
Complete renovation: $250 to $450 per square foot (i.e. a 2,000 square foot renovation would cost $500,000 to $900,000.)
Specific parts of a Renovation
The items below are part of a complete renovation but are broken out here for your reference:
- Kitchen Renovation: range of $20,000 to $100,000
- Bathroom Renovation: range of $10,000 to $50,000
- Central Air Conditioning (for a 2,000 square foot apartment): $30,000 to $80,000 (Cost depends upon the complexity of the system, and the impact it has on the overall design of the job.)
- Through the Wall Air Conditioning: $3,000 to $4,000 per unit (Includes installation and cabinetry)
- Rewiring (For a 2,000 square foot apartment): $30,000 to $50,000 (The cost depends upon the amount of patching and plastering required.)
- Window Replacement: $1,000 to $2,000 per window (double-hung windows)
15% - 25% of the Cost of Construction
- Design, Planning, Construction Drawings, and Bidding: 2-6 months
- Construction Period (depending on the scope of work): 2-8 months
WHY HIRE AN ARCHITECT?
- Clients save money. By defining the project through the architect’s drawings and specifications, the project can be bid competitively. A vaguely defined project on a time and materials basis can lead to wild cost overruns.
- Architects can help clients maximize the design possibilities of their project, adding real value to their property.
- Almost all Co-op and Condominium Boards require architectural drawings for a renovation. Renovations that need to be filed with the Department of Buildings must be submitted by an Architect or Engineer.